Examination and Treatment of the Aging Spine: Implications for Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Course
DR WILLIAM J. HANNEY, PT, PhD, ATC/L, CSCS, MTC
$39; 1.5 Contact Hours
ONLINE COURSE DESCRIPTION
The incidence of lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS) increases with age and this condition is becoming more prevalent with the reported increase in life expectancy. This results in increased pain, decreased function and an overall decrease in quality of life for a large portion of the population. Unfortunately, LSS is not only common but also very expensive, costing an estimated $50-100 billion per year with 75% of this money coming from those that have become temporarily or permanently disabled. There are many medical treatments available for LSS however they are often expensive or have greater risk. Conservative management may be an alterative and it seems to be effective in some circumstance. This course will briefly review the patho-anatomy associated with LSS as well as different classification systems. Also, examination procedures will be covered as well as suggestions for differential diagnosis. Finally, diverse treatment options will be discussed including manual therapy, exercise as well as education and home carry over activities. Upon conclusion of the webinar participants will be able to identify those with LSS and have a broad array of treatment strategies.
ONLINE COURSE OBJECTIVES
- Identify the three primary anatomical locations attributed to lumbar spinal stenosis
- Identify and distinquish between six categories of lumbar spinal stenosis
- Describe the diagnostic accuracy of select examination findings
- Identify treatment approaches for LSS which include exercise, manual therapy and education.
ONLINE COURSE OUTLINE
- Introduction -Prevalence rates -Cost and economic considerations
- Patho–Anatomy -Central canal stenosis -sub articular stenosis -neural foramina stenosis
- Classification -Congenital Stenosis -Acquired Stenosis -Iatrogenic -Spondylolitic -Post-Traumatic -Miscellaneous
- Examination Considerations -History -Sensory & motor findings -Balance -Graded treadmill test
- Differential Diagnosis -Vascular vs neurogenic claudication -Radiculopathy
- Treatment -Exercise based interventions -Manual therapy techniques -Education -Home carry over considerations
ONLINE COURSE INSTRUCTOR
- DR WILLIAM J. HANNEY, PT, PhD, ATC/L, CSCS, MTC
William J. Hanney, PT, PhD, ATC/L, CSCS, MTC is a clinician, researcher and educator who currently serves as an instructor at the University of Central Florida School of Physical Therapy where he teaches and conducts clinical research. Additionally, he maintains a clinical practice at Brooks Rehabilitation. Dr. Hanney earned his undergraduate degree from the University of West Florida for studies in Sports Medicine/Athletic Training and his Master and Doctor of Physical Therapy degrees at the University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences. He recently earned a Ph.D. at Nova Southeastern University with research interests in the treatment of cervicogenic pain. His clinical practice focuses on the treatment of orthopedic conditions with a special interest in core stabilization and muscular control. He is an experienced educator, clinician and author having presented/published nationally in the areas of biomechanics, rehabilitation and sports medicine. Dr Hanney maintains involvement in the APTA, the National Strength and Conditioning Association, The American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists and the National Athletic Trainers Association.
This is an intermediate level course designed for PTs, PTAs, OTs, OTA’s, CHT’s, and ATCs
CE Approval provided through Therapy Network Seminars:
PT CEU: *AK,AL,*AR,*AZ,CO,CT,*DC,*DE,GA,HI,IA,ID,*IN,*KS,*KY,MA,ME,MI,*MO,*MS,MT,*NC,ND,NE,NH, NY,OR,*RI,*SC,SD,TN,TX,*UT,VA,WA,*WI, VI,VT,WY;
*Approved “by virtue”
NY-NYSED Approved Provider for PT/PTAs 10/14/2014 – 10/14/2018
TX-TPTA Accredited Provider. This activity is provided by the TX Board of PT Examiners Accredited Provider and meets continuing competence requirements for PT and PTA licensure renewal in TX.
OT CE Approval provided through Therapy Network Seminars:
AK, AR, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, FL, HI, *IA, ID, IL, IN, *KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, *NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VI, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY
*Satisfies NBCOT Requirements only.
AOTA Approved Provider # 3073. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.