Sara Meeks’ Osteoporosis: Practical Applications for the Clinic Course
Presented by: SARA M. MEEKS, PT, MS, G.C.S, K.Y.T
Through the route of Better Body Alignment, this highly experiential webinar will focus on the comprehensive physical therapy approach to the conditions of Low Bone Mass (osteoporosis and osteopenia), Spinal Stenosis, Scoliosis, and Chronic Back Pain. Participants will learn and practice safe, therapeutic and functional movement and exercises that they can take into their professional and personal lives the very next day. Focusing on optimal body alignment to improve muscle contraction and weight-bearing forces on bone, this innovative, comprehensive, evidence-based, 12-point approach of The Meeks Method has been shown to be safe and effective for many musculoskeletal conditions. Participants will be able to interact
with Sara Meeks during the presentation and, in addition, will have available complimentary handouts of an Interactive PDF Screening Form, The Re-Alignment Routine and a full-color PDF copy of the PowerPoint presentation among others.
1) Recall and consider bringing the Principles of Movement of The Meeks Method into practice.
2) Describe the Patterns of Postural Change© and understand how to begin to use this information in clinical practice.
3) Be aware of the comprehensiveness of The Meeks Method as a safe and therapeutic approach to the management of spinal pathology.
4) Discuss why the indications and contraindications for management would be the same for osteopenia, osteoporosis and normal bone but will differ according to the clinical condition of the patient.
5) Recall the definitions, pathology and epidemiology of Low Bone Mass, Spinal Stenosis, Scoliosis and Chronic Back Pain and begin to apply this information in clinical practice.
6) Appreciate how optimal body alignment will be therapeutic for the management of patients with spinal pathology.
7) Explain the protocol for the management of spinal compression fracture.
8) Understand that the only ACTIVE spinal orthosis for use with patients with osteoporosis, compression fracture and other spinal pathology is a part of the comprehensive approach of The Meeks Method
9) Be aware of a Screening Form to use for Assessment and Evaluation of Patients with Osteoporosis.
10) Apply information from this webinar in practice the very next day.
- Experience of the most Functional Movement of Sit-To-Stand-To-Sit that people do every day — with Better Body Alignment and Safety for the bones.
- Presentation of the Basic Principles of The Meeks Method®.
- Body Alignment—Patterns of Postural Change – What it means and how they can be corrected.
- Determination of Optimal Intervention.
- Presentation of information on osteoporosis, osteopenia and related conditions such as spinal necrosis (Kummel’s Disease).
- The Meeks Method Wheel—A 12-Point Intervention for Spinal Pathology.
- Presentation of Non-Compliant Patients and general recommendations for practice.
- Presentation of suggested interventions for Spinal Stenosis, Scoliosis, and Chronic Back Pain.
- Wind Up, Taking Action and Final Questions.
- SARA M. MEEKS, PT, MS, G.C.S, K.Y.T
Sara Meeks PT, MS, GCS, KYT, a physical therapist with 57 years clinical experience and a certified Kripalu Yoga Instructor since 1984, has spent the past 35 years specializing in the unique management implications of persons with low bone mass, scoliosis, spinal stenosis, chronic back pain and postural dysfunction. She is an international presenter and the owner of SARA MEEKS SEMINARS which is dedicated to the education of health
professionals on the management of spinal health. Sara is the author of two books, has presented at many State APTA Conferences, and has been a presenter at both Annual Conference and CSM. She is the founder of the Special Interest Group (SIG) on Bone Health and a recipient of the APTA Section on Geriatrics Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice. Moving over into more mentoring, writing and, with two colleagues now instructing her Level 1 seminar, Sara will now be focusing on teaching more advanced
seminars for health, exercise and Yoga professionals. With her stated mission of creating safety in movement for persons with low bone mass and other spinal pathology and diagnosed with osteoporosis herself, she brings energy, enthusiasm, and humor into her highly interactive seminars and webinars.
CE Approval provided through Therapy Network Seminars: