Sara Meeks’ Stepping Exercise Down For Improved Function Course
Presented by: Sara Meeks, PT, MS, GCS, KYT
$39; 1.5 contact hrs (see CEU info below)
ONLINE COURSE DESCRIPTION
This evidence-based, experiential, active and participatory 1.5-hour webinar will focus on the management of the long-term, chronically-ill, physically-frail, or pre-frail, cognitively-intact patient. The presentation will include adapted exercise and movement suggestions for patients who are being seen by rehabilitation personnel in ICU, Acute Care, Home Care, Nursing Home, Skilled Nursing and Long-Term Care Facilities such as burn and organ transplant units as well as Out-Patient. These patients frequently exhibit several co-morbidities (e.g.,COPD, osteoporosis, burns, organ transplants, cardio-pulmonary and neurological conditions) that may influence movement and exercise prescription. Some of these conditions may have conflicting treatment options (e.g., spinal stenosis vs osteoporosis) and some diagnoses may take precedence over others
Emphasis is placed on innovative techniques for strengthening of the core muscles: Diaphragm and other Breathing Muscles, Lower Abdominals, Pelvic Floor and Back Extensors and other “Fountain-of-Youth Muscles” such as the Gluteus Maximus and Medius.
ONLINE COURSE OBJECTIVES
- Identify the conditions of physical frailty and osteoporosis as they pertain to patient populations which are being seen by rehab personnel
- Identify the guidelines for management of the patient with acute spinal compression fracture
- Identify the principles of modification of an exercise program including breath and The Re-Alignment Routine to meet the needs of the individual patient
- Demonstrate movement from and for the bones
- Demonstrate Perch Posture, Safe Sit-To-Stand-To-Sit, 2 Visual Images for Postural correction, Beginning Weight-Shifting Exercises for Balance, and 2 Different Visual
- Images for Improvement in Gait
- Identify a beginning therapeutic exercise program for the physically frail or pre-frail patient and revise it as necessary using the principles of The Meeks’ Method
- Demonstrate elements of Postural Correction, Balance, Gait, and ADL’s
- Identify indications for bracing with the Spinomed III Spinal Orthosis, use of the Sit-To-Stand Independence Chair and the LivMD Low Intensity Vibration unit
- Identify the principles of movement and discuss progression of the program to next levels of care
ONLINE COURSE OUTLINE
INTRODUCTION TO THE MEEKS METHOD
PATTERNS OF POSTURAL CHANGE©
ANATOMY FROM AND FOR THE BONES
PRINCIPLES OF MOVEMENT
ADAPTATION OF MOVEMENT AND EXERCISES
COMPRESSION FRACTURE INFORMATION AND MANAGEMENT
OUT OF BED AND INTO LIFE
ONLINE COURSE INSTRUCTOR
Sara Meeks, PT, MS, GCS, KYT, a physical therapist with nearly 50 years clinical experience and a certified Kripalu Yoga Teacher since 1984, has spent the past 28 years specializing in the unique management implications of persons with low bone mass. She is an international presenter and the owner of SARA MEEKS SEMINARS which is dedicated to the education of health professionals on the management of bone health. Sara is the author of two books on bone health management, has presented at many State APTA Conferences, and has been a presenter at both Annual Conference and CSM. She is the founder of the Special Interest Group on Bone Health and the recipient of the APTA Section on Geriatrics Award for Excellence in Clinical Practice (2001). With her stated mission of creating safety in movement for persons with low bone mass and diagnosed with osteoporosis herself, she brings energy, enthusiasm, and humor into her highly interactive seminars.
This is an intermediate level course designed for PTs, PTAs, OTs, OTA’s, CHT’s, and ATCs
CE Approval provided through Therapy Network Seminars:
PT CEU: *AK,AL,*AR,*AZ,CO,CT,*DC,*DE,GA,HI,IA,ID,*IN,*KS,*KY,MA,ME,MI,*MO,*MS,MT,*NC,ND,NE,NH, NY,OR,*RI,*SC,SD,TN,TX,*UT,VA,WA,*WI, VI,VT,WY;
*Approved “by virtue”
NY-NYSED Approved Provider for PT/PTAs 10/14/2014 – 10/14/2018
TX-TPTA Accredited Provider. This activity is provided by the TX Board of PT Examiners Accredited Provider and meets continuing competence requirements for PT and PTA licensure renewal in TX.
OT CE Approval provided through Therapy Network Seminars:
AK, AR, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, GA, FL, HI, *IA, ID, IL, IN, *KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, *NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VI, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY
*Satisfies NBCOT Requirements only.
AOTA Approved Provider # 3073. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.